Being raised an only child, when I was growing up everything revolved around me. Even when I was older, this continued, and I often felt frustrated when things didn’t go my way.
This is a battle I fight to this day. It gets worse around my birthday, November 13th, and continues until college football crowns another champion for the year.
So this year, I’m changing the game plan. Instead of focusing on myself and my issues, I am attempting to be strategic and do the following:
- Focus on things above. “Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth” (Colossians 3:2).
- Seek God’s Kingdom first. “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you” (Matthew 6:33).
- Think of others more than myself. “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves” (Philippians 2:3).
An event to kick off the holidays.
On Facebook, I have created a page that says the following:
I am turning 44 on November 13 and I need your help. During the Christmas Season, every year, I get the blues and I act like a GRUMP! On Sunday, November 13th, join me at Yerba Buena Gardens from 1:30-3:30 pm. There are 4 things that would make me happy (not 44).
– Give me a hug
– High-five me for making it to age 44
– Consider throwing the Frisbee with me.
– Bring a small gift card ($5-$10)
If you want to join, put it in the comments and we look forward to seeing you then!
What I plan to do with the gift cards is give them out to strangers during the next month, sharing with them that this gift is from God, and that the greatest gift ever is Jesus.
I hope you can join me this Christmas Season as we learn to be more and more like Christ.